The Indiana Democratic Party maintains an online voter file to help Democratic campaigns and activists do the work to win up and down the ballot. VAN, sometimes called Votebuilder, NGP VAN, or just the Voter File, has the tools and information needed to run data-driven campaigns. On this page, you will find information on accessing VAN and trainings to help you understand the program.
Voter file access
If you are a campaign who is requesting VAN access for the first time, please fill out the VAN intake form and we will reach out to you with follow-up materials to create your committee on VAN.
***This form is ONLY for campaigns requesting initial VAN access. Individual users requesting access must go through their designated committee administrators to request access.
**If you don’t know how to get in contact with your committee administrator, click this link.
Voter file help
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with the use of VAN, please click on VAN Tech Support below and submit a support request to our data team, including as much detail and images as possible.
If you would like to request an in-person VAN training from the state party, please click this link. All trainings are subject to approval.
The VANual is a manual that covers a wide range of tools and functions in the VANual. The most up-to-date version of the VANual is available below. Please contact Data Director, Megan McCullough, at [email protected] for the password to the PDF.
VAN Training Videos
This section includes pre-recorded videos on a variety of topics related to using VAN. Please contact Megan McCullough at [email protected] for a password to view these videos. Following each section of videos, you can also use the accompanying “Skills Checklist” document to make sure you have learned all you should from those videos and complete the challenges in the document to test your new skills.
- Video – Introduction to VAN [13:46]
- Building Blocks of Voter Contact
- Video – Creating Activist Codes [12:10]
- Video – Creating Survey Questions [13:29]
- Video – Creating Scripts [10:53]
- Skills Checklist – Building Blocks of Voter Contact
Previously Recorded VAN Webinars
Don’t see a topic listed that you need? Let us know! Email Megan at [email protected].
- Likely Party Phase-Out webinar 1
- Likely Party Phase-Out webinar 2
- VAN Basics: General Introduction to the Voter File
- VAN Basics: How to Create a List
- VAN Basics: Quick Lookup
- VAN Basics: How to use My Campaign
- How to Use Counts and Crosstabs
- How to Create an Export
- Grid View Data Entry
- How to Create Letters and Labels in the Voter File
- Narrowing Precinct Lists
- How to Create Canvass and Call Sheets
- Enhance Your Voter Contact
- Tracking Absentee Ballots and Early Voters